How can Blob help with using my content on a day-to-day basis?
You can use Blob to browse and search all your Data Sources. You can read and respond to your email messages; post and comment at your social media accounts; download, upload or share files to your cloud storage accounts and move or copy any content from one Data Source to another.
For all content types, Blob supports the following operations:
- Browse: you can browse all the content in a Data Source by double-clicking on its name in the left panel. At the root level, you will see all content in all sub-folders (e.g. all emails and attachments for an email Data Source). If you select a specific folder (e.g. Inbox), you will see content in that folder.
- Sort: you can sort the displayed details by clicking on the column heading (e.g. “Size”).
- Locate content within a Data Source: you can search for a specific file or email by typing (partial) text in the “Find” bar/button at the top-left corner. This will search for the entered text in all displayed fields (i.e. “From”, “To”, “Subject” etc. for emails).
- Locate content using a specific property: you can search for a specific file or email by typing in the blank space below the column heading. For example, typing just below “File” column heading in the file display tab will only display files whose file name contains the search text you entered in its “File” field.
- Open: you can open a file, email etc. by double-clicking on it. If the content is on a remote server (e.g. an email or cloud storage file), Blob will fetch it for you.
- Tag: you can tag content with arbitrary text. You can later search for items that have a tag you assigned to it.
- Mark: you can mark something as “important” or “not important”. You can later search for items that have been marked as important.
How can Blob help with daily use of my email accounts?
You can read, reply, reply-to-all, forward, delete or create new emails. You can mark the email as read or unread (in addition to “important” or “not important”).
If you move your mouse over the Subject field of an email, Blob will show you a preview of its contents. This will not mark the email as read. This way, you can quickly skim the message contents without opening it (which might require downloading the email and attachments from the server).
You can also manually select some emails and copy or move them to another email account or to a local disk or cloud storage account.
- Blob automatically mines contacts from all your email accounts and supports address auto-completion. Thus, when you start to type an email address in the “To” field, Blob will give a list of suggestions based on what you’ve typed so far (see “How can Blob help with daily use of my contacts?“).
How can Blob help with daily use of my files?
You can open, delete, move or copy a file from anywhere to anywhere (e.g. copy an email attachment to a local drive or to a cloud storage account). You can also mark them important or tag them with arbitrary text.
How can Blob help with daily use of my calendar appointments?
Blob automatically creates a “local” calendar on your computer’s hard drive and supports web based calendar accounts like Google Calendar, Yahoo Calendar, Apple iCloud Calendar or any other CalDAV compliant calendar server. You can browse all your appointments by clicking on the “Calendar” button at the bottom-left edge of Blob. You can create, delete or modify an one-time or recurring appointment and manage its reminders or categories (personal, business, vacation…). If you manage a calendar on your phone, Blob will let you manage it from your computer too, so you can create an appointment from either place and see it everywhere. You can also copy an appointment to your disk (e.g. to email it to someone).
How can Blob help with daily use of my contacts?
Blob will automatically harvest names and email addresses from emails you send or receive in all your email accounts. You can view them by clicking on the “Contacts” button at the bottom left edge of the main Blob screen. You can delete or update a contact, tag it or associate arbitrary comments with it. You can also copy it to a local disk file (e.g. to email it to someone).
Blob supports email address auto-completion across all your email accounts. When you use Blob to create, reply or forward an email, Blob will automatically present you with a set of choices for the “To” field as you start typing a name or email address there. Thus, contacts mined from one email account can be used to send an email from a different account.