Do I have to create an account with Datamaton to use your products?
No, you don’t have to create an account with us to use the Datamaton Digital Manager application.
Am I giving Datamaton my passwords when I ask it to index my accounts?
No. When the Datamaton Digital Manager indexes your web based email, calendar, messaging or cloud storage account, it never sends the password to our servers. Most times, it doesn’t even see your passwords – see How is authentication handled”.
The Datamaton Digital Manager does not collect or transmit anything about your digital content to our servers. It does not use your accounts, contacts, email addresses etc. for any marketing use whatsoever.
- Your actual content: it does not send any of your actual content to our servers or any affiliated 3rd party.
- Information (metadata) about your content: it does not send your content’s metadata to our servers. “Metadata” includes things like file/folder names, sizes & dates; email sender, recipients & subject etc. It saves such metadata to encrypted index files only on your computer.
- Your account user/login IDs: it does not send your user/login IDs to Datamaton servers or any affiliated 3rd party.
- Your passwords. it does not send your passwords to Datamaton servers or any affiliated 3rd party. In many instances, it won’t even see your password.
- Your backup tasks: it does not transit your content through Datamaton servers when you copy or move it. This is true even when you move/copy content from a remote source to a remote destination. For example: if you move or copy an email or file from one email/cloud storage account to another, the Digital Manager will copy your emails/files from your remote source to your local computer and then upload it to your remote destination. Your content never touches our servers, not even temporarily.
- Marketing use: Since the Datamaton Digital Manager does not collect any information about you, it cannot possibly use it for marketing purposes. It does not access your “contacts” for promotional use. It does not auto-subscribe your indexed email accounts to any email list. It does not attempt to aggregate your content, index files or usage patterns into profiles for marketing purposes – not even into anonymous profiles.
- Compliance with Google’s privacy & data use policies: the Digital Manager’s use and transfer to any other app of information received from Google APIs will adhere to Google API Services User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
- Disclosure to 3rd parties: Since the Datamaton Digital Manager does not collect any information about you, it cannot possibly disclose it to any 3rd party.
- Cookies: The Datamaton Digital Manager is not a general purpose web/internet browser, and it does not use or store browser cookies on its own.
Is the website/app GDPR compliant?
We have taken steps to ensure that we are compliant with the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which governs the way that businesses collect, use, and share personal data about individuals.
Is the Datamaton Digital Manager compliant with Google's privacy & data use policies?
What is Datamaton's content ownership policy?
You retain full ownership of all your content at all your Data Sources. Datamaton Inc. does not claim any rights whatsoever over any of your content or metadata about your content.
What security mechanisms does the Digital Manager app use?
The Datamaton Digital Manager supports end-to-end encryption.
- It encrypts the index files it stores on your local disk with a password that you provide (unless you explicitly tell it to not encrypt them). Only you know this password, so Datamaton Inc. or its employees cannot decrypt your index files.
- It sets up the most secure/encrypted connections supported by your Data Source. This applies to email connections (secure IMAP, POP3 and SMTP), FTP servers (secure FTP over SSH, FTP over SSL) as well as other web connections (secure HTTPS).
- It uses the most secure login mechanism supported by the Data Source (see “How is authentication handled?”). Many Data Sources (e.g Google GMail/Drive, Yahoo mail…) support an authentication mechanism called OAuth where the Datamaton Digital Manager will never even see your password. You provide your password directly to your account vendor (e.g. Google, Yahoo…) and the Digital Manager just gets a temporary access token that expires in a short time.
- For protected Data Sources that do not support OAuth, the Datamaton Digital Manager has to accept and transmit your password to the Data Source. It will never save your passwords without your explicit approval. If you approve saving your password, it will save it encrypted on your local computer only, in the Windows Credentials Manager. Your password is never sent to Datamaton Inc. or any affiliate.
What are the terms and conditions that govern the app's use?
These are the terms and conditions you must agree to when you install and use the Datamaton Digital Manager:
This License is a legal agreement between you and Datamaton Inc. (“Datamaton”). By installing the Datamaton Content Manager (“SOFTWARE”), you are agreeing to be bound by all of the terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to any of the terms of this Agreement, do NOT install or use this SOFTWARE and promptly return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.
GRANT OF LICENSE: Datamaton grants you a personal, non-exclusive, permanent license to install and use the SOFTWARE in object code form on a SINGLE computer, unless explicitly permitted otherwise. This restriction includes different versions of SOFTWARE that provide substantially identical capability – for example a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version; or an English language version and a non-English language version; or a newer version that includes software bug fixes. You may not install the SOFTWARE on more than one computer at any given time, or on a system that allows shared use of the SOFTWARE on a multi-user network unless you have purchased a license that explicitly allows this. For example, you must purchase a 3-seat license to install the SOFTWARE on 3 computers or a 5-seat license to install it on 5 computers.
OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT: This copy of SOFTWARE is licensed, not sold. The SOFTWARE is owned by Datamaton Inc. and is protected by copyright laws and international treaty provisions. You must treat the SOFTWARE like any other copyrighted material. Datamaton reserves all rights not expressly granted.
OTHER RESTRICTIONS: You may NOT publish, copy (other than permitted backup copy), rent, lease, lend, sell or distribute any part of the SOFTWARE or create derivative works of any part of the SOFTWARE including, but not limited to translations of SOFTWARE. You may NOT modify, reverse-engineer, decompile or disassemble all or any portion of the SOFTWARE. You may not alter any documentation, files, libraries or executable code in any portion of SOFTWARE. You may transfer the SOFTWARE and accompanying written materials to a 3rd party but only on a permanent basis, and provided you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement. If you upgrade or convert your existing SOFTWARE, then the upgrade or conversion replaces the original SOFTWARE that you are upgrading or converting from. You do not retain any rights to the original SOFTWARE after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.
WARRANTY AND LIABILITY: Datamaton warrants that properly licensed SOFTWARE when used as instructed will perform substantially as described in SOFTWARE specifications published by Datamaton. This limited warranty applies only to a purchased copy of SOFTWARE for a period of 1 year and is not extended by a product transfer or product upgrade. This limited warranty explicitly excludes any guarantees about support for specific personal digital content storage locations, even if such storage location was supported at some point in the past. This limited warranty does not cover problems arising out of improper use, or due to circumstances beyond Datamaton’s control (for example, if a 3rd party vendor restricts or prohibits Datamaton from accessing your digital content stored there). Datamaton expressly excludes all other warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Datamaton or its directors, officers, employees or agents will not be liable for any loss of revenue, profit or data or for special, indirect, consequential, incidental or punitive damage however caused by the use of SOFTWARE, even if Datamaton has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In the event of a warranty breach by Datamaton, your only remedy is the repair/replacement (if available) or return of the SOFTWARE for a refund. In no event shall Datamaton’s liability to you exceed the price paid by you. The entire risk arising out of the use or performance of the SOFTWARE remains with you. This limited warranty does not apply to the free or trial version of SOFTWARE, which is made available “as is” with no warranty whatsoever, either express or implied.
MISCELLANEOUS: This License is effective until terminated. You may terminate this License at any time by destroying all copies of SOFTWARE. This License will terminate immediately without notice from Datamaton if you fail to comply with any provision of this License. Upon termination, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE.
This License shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Oregon, United States of America. If any portion of this Agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect. To the extent any express or implied restrictions are not permitted by applicable laws, these express or implied restrictions shall remain in force and effect to the maximum extent permitted by such applicable laws. This License constitutes the entire License between you and Datamaton with respect to the use of the SOFTWARE.
RETURN POLICY: Datamaton provides trial versions of the Datamaton Digital Manager on its website free of cost, and strongly encourages you to use it so you know if it meets your needs and expectations before you purchase it. Datamaton will accept returns only if it meets ALL of the return criteria mentioned here:
- You may return it only up to 30 days from the date of purchase.
- You must completely un-install the application (if you installed it) and destroy all copies, including backup copies. Only a full un-install will release the license key you purchased, and this is required for a refund. Please contact Datamaton support if you need help.
- All returns and exchanges must be accompanied by the original purchase receipt.
- Datamaton reserves the right to refuse returns that it deems to be fraudulent or excessive.
To initiate a return, please send an email to Datamaton support. Please include the name and email address you used to purchase the Datamaton Digital Manager, your receipt ID and your license key (this information is sent to you in your purchase confirmation email). Datamaton will process your return request within 4 weeks of receiving a complete refund request with all required documentation. Approved refunds will be made in the same method as payment unless you select to exchange the item.